Hymn writer (lyrics): Judson W. DeVenter (1855 - 1939)
Music composer: Winfield S. Weeden (1847 - 1908)
Notes: Born in the state of Michigan, Deventer was a musician and an art teacher before he began preaching the gospel. He published more than sixty hymns during his life. Weeden, who was an associate of DeVenter, helped him in his evangelistic efforts.
Surrendering to God
An active, living faith and a conscious decision to surrender to God's will are critical components in the life of a Christian. Though it is one of the most difficult things to do, Jesus calls upon believers to "unconditionally surrender" to him in order to be considered one of his disciples.
26. If anyone comes to Me (Jesus) and does not hate his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers and sisters, and, in addition, his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27. And whoever does not carry his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple; (Luke 14:26 - 27)
Other parts of Scripture that discuss submitting to or surrendering to God include the following.
28. He who trusts in his riches shall fall, but the righteous shall blossom like a branch. (Proverbs 11:28)
20. He who handles a matter wisely shall find good, and whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he. (Proverbs 16:20)
25 Selfishness only causes trouble. You are much better off to trust the Lord. (Proverbs 28:25)
5. Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. (Proverbs 30:5)
8. But my eyes are upon You, O Lord GOD; in You I take refuge, do not leave me destitute. (Psalm 148:8)
Praise the Lord, my soul, and do not forget how kind he is. 3 He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. (Psalm 103:2 - 3)