Important Cities in
1. And the LORD said to Joshua, "Do not fear, nor be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you and arise; go up to Ai. See, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, and his people, and his city, and his land. (Joshua 8:1-2)
Location where the Philistines put out Samson's eyes, bound him, and had him grind grain (Judges 16:21).
1. Then all the children of Israel went out, and the congregation was gathered together as one man, from Dan even to Beersheba, with the land of Gilead, to the LORD in Mizpeh. (Judges 20:1)
Ashdod1. And the Philistines took the ark of God and brought it from Ebenezer to Ashdod. (1Samuel 5)
Hometown of Saul, the first human king of ancient Israel (1Samuel 10:26)
Nain11. Now it came to pass on the next day that He (Jesus) went into a city called Nain; and many of His disciples went with Him, and a great multitude.
AshkelonLocation where Samson killed thirty men and took spoils (Judges 14:19).
19. And the people came up out of the Jordan on the tenth day of the first month and camped in Gilgal on the east border of Jericho. (Joshua 4:19)
Nazareth23. And after arriving, he (Joseph and his family) dwelt in a city called Nazareth (Matthew 2:23)
31. This is why he called that place The Well of the Living One Seeing Me,. because there they both swore an oath. 32. So they made a covenant at Beersheba. (Genesis 21:31-32)
1. And it came to pass when Jabin, king of Hazor, had heard those things, he sent to Jobab king of Madon, and to the king of Shimron, and to the king of Achshaph, (Joshua 11:1)
30. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel,. saying, "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." (Genesis 32:30)
1. Now there was a certain man who was sick, Lazarus of Bethany, which was the town of Mary and her sister Martha. (John 11:1)
The village was the place where Abraham's wife Sarah died at the age of 127 (Genesis 23:2)
One of Israel's cities of refuge (Joshua 20:7, Deuteronomy 4:41-43).
13. I am the God of Bethel where you anointed the pillar, where you made a vow to Me. Now arise, get out from this land and return to the land of your kindred.' " (Genesis 31:13)
First place conquered by Israel.
Bought city that was made capital of northern tribes of Israel (1Kings 16:24)
City where Jesus was born (Matthew 2).
King David and all the Israelites went and attacked the city of Jerusalem. It was then known as Jebus . . . (1Chronicles 11:4)
6. And Abram passed through the land to the place of Shechem, unto the Oak of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land. (Genesis 12:6)
44. On the next day, Jesus desired to go into Galilee; and He found Philip and said to him, "Follow Me." 45. Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. (John 1:44-45)
Gideon's famous battle took place here (Judges 6:33)
Place where Israelites set up God's tabernacle (Joshua 18:1).
40. Then Philip was found at Azotus; and as he passed through, he preached the gospel to all the cities, until he came to Caesarea. (Acts 8:40)
The city where a beloved believer named Tabitha (Dorcas) died. God, through Peter, resurrected her from the dead. (Acts 9:36)
Place where Elijah is taken care of by a widow (1Kings 17:8-9)
1. Now on the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there. (John 2:1)
KadeshbarneaOne location Israel camped at after leaving slavery (Numbers 13:26)
37 The Israelites set out on foot from Rameses for Sukkoth. (Exodus 12:37)
13. And after leaving Nazareth (at about 30), He (Jesus Christ) came and dwelt in Capernaum, (Matthew 4:13)
22. The king of Kedesh, one; the king of Jokneam of Carmel, one; (Joshua 12:22)
17. And Jeroboam's wife arose, and left, and came to Tirzah. When she came to the threshold of the door, the boy died. (1Kings 14:17)
Northern most Israelite city. (Judges 13:25)
City fought against by Joshua (Joshua 10:31)
Mentioned in the Bible as a prosperous city (Isaiah 23:8).
David used location as a stronghold to evade capture by King Saul. (1Samuel 23:29)
The place where Jacob, renamed Israel by God, was buried after his death in Egypt (Genesis 50:1-13)
22. Hurry and escape there! For I cannot do anything till you arrive there." Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar. (Genesis 19:22)
Important ancient Philistine city where giant people lived (Joshua 11:22).
15 King Solomon used forced labor to . . . rebuild Megiddo (1Kings 9:15)
Additional Study Materials
|Map showing Kingdoms |
of ancient Israel and Judah
|What are |
cities of refuge?
|Who governed as JUDGES |
over the Israelites?
|Kings of Ancient |
Israel and Judah
|Map of |
the seven hills
|Timeline of the |
in the Old Testament
|Family tree from |
Abraham to Jesus
|What were |