The Ten Commandments
The Ten Commandments contain all that is necessary, and no more than is necessary, both as to their number and their order, while the Lord's prayer is complete in ten clauses.
The 10 clauses of the Lord's Prayer
The Lord's prayer is completed in ten clauses.
- The first, God's sovereignty.
- The second, God's manifested Name
- The third, the realization of God's kingdom.
- The fourth first mentions the earth.
- The fifth, the gift of grace supplying our need.
- The sixth treats of man's sin.
- The seventh pleads for spiritual guidance.
- The eighth pleads for final deliverance from all evil.
- The ninth sums up the divine glory (32)
- The tenth completes the eternal cycles.
The tithes represent the whole of what was due from man to God, as marking and recognizing God's claim on the whole.
The number 10 and redemption
The redemption money was ten gerahs, and thus was acknowledged both what God claimed, and what man was responsible to give. Now ten gerahs was half a shekel (Exodus 30:12-16; Numbers 3:47). Every male that was numbered, over 20 years of age, must pay this sum and meet God's claim.
But the firstborn were to pay ten times as much; for when God took the Levites instead of the first-born of Israel, there were found 22,273 first-born males, but only 22,000 Levites. So that 273 had to pay the ransom money, which amounted to ten times ten gerahs. Thus, though the five shekels looked like a variation, the significance of ten is sustained, for the five shekels were ten times the "half shekel." (See Numbers 3:12,13,40-51).
The ten Plagues of Egypt
The ten plagues were representative of the complete circle of God's judgments on Egypt. Exodus 9:14, "I will . . . send all my plagues."
The 10 kingdoms controlled by the Antichrist
Antichrist's world power is comprised in the ten kingdoms, symbolized by the ten toes on the feet of the image of Nebuchadnezzar's dream (Daniel 2:41), and by the ten horns of the fourth beast of Daniel's vision (Daniel 7:7,20,24, etc.; Revelation 12:3, 13:1, 17:3,7,12).
Ten nations imply the whole of the nations which are to be the scene of Abraham's covenant possessions (Genesis 15:19).
What were the 10 trials of Abraham's Faith?
Abraham's faith was proved by a completed cycle of ten trials: -
- His departure from Haran.
- His flight to Egypt from the famine.
- In the seizure of Sarah.
- In his war to rescue Lot.
- In his taking Hagar.
- In his circumcision.
- In the second seizure of Sarah at Gerar.
- In the expulsion of Ishmael.
- In the expulsion of Hagar.
- In the offering of Isaac.
The Ten Rebellions of Israel
The ten rebellions of Israel in the wilderness (Numbers 14:22) mark the completed series of Israel's perversities.
The Temple's Silver Sockets
The silver sockets which formed the foundation of the Tabernacle were 10 x 10 (Exodus 38:27). These were made of silver, and silver is significant of redemption (1Peter 1:18,19). *
When did FIRE come down from Heaven?
Fire came down from heaven ten times, six of which were in judgment: -
- Genesis 19:24, on Sodom.
- Leviticus 9:24, on the first offerings.
- Leviticus 10:2, on Nadab and Abihu.
- Numbers 11:1, on the murmurers at Taberah.
- Numbers 16:35, on Korah and his company.
- 1Kings 18:38, on Elijah's offering at Carmel.
- 2Kings 1:10, on Elijah's enemies.
- 2Kings 1:12, on Elijah's enemies.
- 1 Chronicles 21:26, on David's sacrifice.
- 2 Chronicles 7:1, on Solomon's sacrifice.
What were the 10 times the people shouted for JOY?
- Leviticus 9:24, when the fire from heaven consumed the first sacrifices.
- Joshua 6:20, at the taking of Jericho.
- 1 Samuel 4:5, when the Ark was brought into the camp.
- 1 Samuel 10:24, when Saul was chosen king.
- 1 Samuel 17:20, when Israel went to fight the Philistines.
- 1 Samuel 17:52, when pursuing them.
- 2 Samuel 6:15 (1Chronicles 15:28), when the Ark was brought back from the house of Obed-edom.
- 2 Chronicles 13:15, when God smote Jeroboam before Abijah.
- 2 Chronicles 15:14, when Asa and the people heard Oded's prophecy.
- Ezra 3:11, when the foundation of the second Temple was laid.
What are the 10 times God CURSED someone or something?
God's righteous curses are completed in a series of ten: -
- Genesis 3:14, 15, on the serpent.
- Genesis 3:17, the ground.
- Genesis 4:11, Cain.
- Genesis 9:25, Cainan.
- Joshua 6:17, Jericho.
- Joshua 6:28, Achan, Joshua 7:12, Achan.
- Joshua 9:23, Gibeonites.
- Judges 9:57, Shechemites.
- 1Kings 16:34, Hiel the Bethelite.
- Mark 11:21, The Fig tree.
Who declared publically that they sinned?
Ten * persons complete the series of those who uttered this confession, and acknowledged their desert of divine judgment: -
* Of these ten, six were individual (the number of man), while four were on behalf of the nation - "We."
- Pharaoh, Exodus 9:27, 10:16.
- Balaam, Numbers 22:34.
- Achan, Joshua 7:20.
- Saul, 1 Samuel 15:24,30, 26:21.
- David, 2 Samuel 12:13, 24:10,17; 1 Chronicles 21:8,17; Psalm 41:4, 51:4.
- Shimei, 2 Samuel 19:20.
- Hezekiah, 2Kings 18:14 (rendered "offended").
- Job 7:20.
- Micah 7:9.
- Nehemiah 1:6.
How does the number ten related to the Tabernacle?
The tabernacle is spoken of ten times as the "Tabernacle of Witness," or "Tabernacle of Testimony." Of these, five are mish-kahn, Exodus 38:21; Numbers 1:50,53 (twice), 10:11. This has special reference to the Tabernacle as the dwelling-place of God, from shahcan, "to dwell." Mish-kahn means the dwelling-place of God (Exodus 25:8), and is therefore never used by the Holy Spirit of "whole congregation."
The other five are oh-el, Numbers 17:7,8,10, 18:2; 2 Chronicles 24:6. Oh-el means simply a tent, and has special reference to the meeting-place of the people by appointment or at appointed seasons. This is the word which is used by the Holy Spirit of the "tent of the congregation."
What are the ten words of Psalm 119?
The ten words of Psalm 119 complete the cycle of the Divine description of His Word. One or other of these ten words occurs in every verse (except 122), viz., Way, Testimony, Precepts, Commandments, Laying, Law, Judgment, Righteousness, Statutes, Word. These, the Massorah says, "correspond to the Ten Commandments."
The Tenth Generation
The tenth generation completed and represented the whole existence of the family or nation. In Deuteronomy 23:3 we read that,
"an Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever."
The reason is given in verses 4 and 5 as to why an Ammonite or Moabite could not enter into the congregation of the Lord. See also Nehemiah 13:1
The 10 Parables of the Kingdom
The parables of the Kingdom are ten in number in the Gospel of Matthew. Seven in chapter 13, and three in chapters 22 and 25.
The Unrighteous shall not enter God's Kingdom
The unrighteous who shall not enter the kingdom of God are enumerated in ten particulars (1Corinthians 6:9,10).
What is the ten-fold security of the Saints?
The security of the saints is set forth in a ten-fold enumeration, which completes the whole cycle of assurance to all who are "in Christ," Romans 8:38,39. They are given in two fives: -
"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers; nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature."
What are the 10 "I AM's" of Jesus found in the book of John?
"I am the Bread of Life" (6:35).
"I am the Bread of Life which came down from heaven" (6:41).
"I am the Living Bread" (6:51).
"I am the Light of the world" (8:12).
"I am One that bear witness of Myself" (8:18).
"I am the Door of the sheep" (10:7,9).
"I am the Good Shepherd" (10:14).
"I am the Resurrection and the Life" (14:6).
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (14:6).
- "I am the True Vine" (15:1,5).
What are the ten names repeated twice in a row?
Ten completes the perfect cycle of the repeated names. Moreover we shall note that these are divided significantly. Of these ten, seven are spoken directly to individual human beings, while three are spoken by the Lord in different connections. Of these seven, four are in the Old Testament, and three are in the New Testament.
- Abraham, Abraham, Genesis 22:11.
- Jacob, Jacob, Genesis 46:2.
- Moses, Moses, Exodus 3:4.
- Samuel, Samuel, 1 Samuel 3:10.
- Martha, Martha, Luke 10:41.
- Simon, Simon, Luke 22:31.
- Saul, Saul, Acts 9:4.
- Lord, Lord, Matthew 7:21,22, 25:11; Luke 6:46; 13:25.
- Eli, Eli, Mark 15:34; Matthew 27:46; Psalm 22:1.
- Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Matthew 23:37; Luke 13:34.
The Talmud and the number ten
The Talmud calls attention to the fact that there are: -
Ten different words used for Idols.
Ten for Prophet, viz., Ambassador, Faithful, Servant, Messenger, Seer, Watchman, Seer of Vision, Dreamer, Prophet, Man of God (Avoth, chapter 34).
Ten designations are applied to the Word of God, viz., Scripture, Proverb, Interpretation, Dark Saying, Oracle, Utterance, Decree, Burden, Prophecy, Vision.
Ten different words for Joy.
Ten generations from Adam to Noah; and
Ten from Noah to Abraham.
Abraham was tried with ten trials.
What were the 10 Passovers observed?
The observance of ten Passovers are recorded: -
- In Egypt, Exodus 12.
- In the wilderness, Numbers 9:5.
- Plains of Jericho, Joshua 5:10.
- Hezekiah's, 2Chronicles 30:1.
- Josiah's, 2Chronicles 35:1.
- Ezra's, Ezra 6:19.
- When our Lord was twelve years of age, Luke 2:41.
- John 2:13.
- John 6:4.
- Matthew 26:2.
What are the 10 times a woman brought about the DEATH of others?
Sisera killed by a woman who drove a peg through his head, Judges 4:21.
Abimelech was killed by a woman who dropped a milestone on his head, Judges 9:52-53; 2Samuel 11:21.
A woman caused Sheba's head to be cut off, 2Samuel 20:1, 21-22.
A harlot accidentally rolls over and kills her infant child, 1Kings 3:19.
Jezebel, wife of King Ahab, has the prophets of God killed, 1Kings 18:4.
Jezebel has Naboth, who owned a vineyard her husband Ahab wanted, murdered. 1Kings 21:9-10.
A starving women, in the besieged city of Samaria, boils and eats her son. 2Kings 6:24-29.
Athaliah, the mother of King Ahaziah, has all the royal seed killed, 2Kings 11:1.
Esther has Haman's ten sons, which were enemies of the Jews, hanged. Esther 9:13-14.
- The head of John the Baptist is requested of Herod, by Herodias, through her daughter. Matthew 14:8.
Which 10 younger sons were preferred instead of the eldest?
Ten instances in the Old Testament of younger sons being preferred before the elder: Abel, Shem, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, Joseph, Ephraim, Moses, David.
Additional commentary on the Biblical Meaning of 10 *
In the Bible the number 10 is used 242 times in scripture and "10th" is used 79 times. A historically significant number, 10 signifies testimony, law and responsibility.
The number ten is also viewed as a complete number, as is 3, 7 and 12. Ten is made up of 4, the number of the physical creation, and 6, the number of man.
In Genesis 1 we find "God said" 10 times - the testimony of God concerning His creative power. God gave the 10 Commandments to man. Ten is the number for law and man’s responsibility to keep the commandments of God. A tithe is a 10th of our earnings and is a testimony of our faith in the Lord.
The Passover lamb was selected on the 10th day of the 1st month (Exodus 12:3), as was Jesus, our Passover Lamb (John 12:28-29; 1Corinthians 5:7). The 10th day of the 7th month is the Day of Atonement for the children of Israel, when they received atonement for their sins.
Prophetically, the day pictures the removal of Satan, the author of sin, before the millennial reign of Christ begins (Revelation 20:1-2). The last great world-ruling kingdom of man under Satan is symbolized by the 10 toes of Daniel 2 and the 10 horns of Revelation 13 and 17.