Under the New Covenant, Jesus elaborated on the spiritual intent of the commandment against adultery when he stated the following (which applies to all humans, not just males).
28. But I say to you, everyone who looks upon a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)
6. For the LORD gives wisdom; out of His mouth comes knowledge and understanding. 7. He lays up sound wisdom for the righteous; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly. 11. Discretion shall preserve you and, understanding shall keep you, 16. To deliver you from the wanton woman, even from the stranger who flatters with her words. (Proverbs 2:6 - 7,11,16, Holy Bible - a Faithful Version)
1. My son, attend to my wisdom; bow your ear to my understanding; 2. That you may keep discretion, and that your lips may keep knowledge. 3. For the lips of a wanton woman drip as a honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil; 4. But her end is as bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword. 5. Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on the grave. 6. She does not ponder the path of life; her ways are unstable - you cannot know them. (Proverbs 5:1 - 6)
7. Now therefore hear me, O you children, and do not depart from the words of my mouth. 8. Remove your ways far from her, and do not come near the door of her house, 9. Lest you give your honor unto others and your years unto the cruel; 10. Lest strangers be filled with your wealth, and your labors be in the house of a stranger; 11. And you moan when your end comes, when your flesh and your body are consumed. (Proverbs 5:7 - 11)
18. Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice with the wife of your youth. 19. Let her be as the loving deer and pleasant doe, let her breasts satisfy you at all times, and be ravished always with her love. 20. For why will you, my son, be ravished with a strange woman (commit adultery) and embrace the bosom of a stranger? (5:18 - 20)
23. For the commandment is a lamp, and the law is light, and reproofs of instruction are the way of life 24. To keep you from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman. 25. Do not lust after her beauty in your heart; nor let her seduce you with her eyelids 26. For by means of a harlot a man is vanquished to a piece of bread; and the adulteress will hunt for the precious life.
27. Can a man take fire to his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? 28. Can one walk upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned? 29. So is he who goes in to his neighbor's wife (commits adultery); whoever touches her shall not be innocent. (6:23 - 29)
love under the pretense of
keeping it alive.
1. My son, keep my words . . . 5. So that they may keep you from the wanton woman, from the stranger who flatters with her words . . . 25. Do not let your heart turn aside to her ways; do not go astray in her paths, 26. For she has cast down many wounded; yea, many strong men have been slain by her. 27. Her house is the way to the grave, going down to the chambers of death. (Proverbs 7:1, 5, 25 - 26)
and turns into fury or it ends
as soon as we pass from
suspicion to certainty.
14. The mouth of wanton women is a deep pit; he who is cursed by the LORD shall fall therein. (22:14)
27. For a harlot is a deep ditch, and a wanton woman is a narrow pit. 28. She also lies in wait as for prey and increases the transgressors among men. (23:27 - 28)4. Wrath is cruel and anger is overwhelming, but who is able to stand before jealousy? (27:4)
3. Whoever loves wisdom rejoices his father, but a companion of harlots wastes his wealth. (Proverbs 29:3)